Header Ads

Breaking News
recent

The Easiest Buckwheat Crepes

Naturally vegan and gluten-free, these thin Buckwheat Crepes require only 1 ingredient to make and are equally delicious in sweet or savory dishes, making them a perfect option for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Naturally vegan and gluten-free, these thin Buckwheat Crepes require only 1 ingredient to make and are equally delicious in sweet or savory dishes, making them a perfect option for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

I've always had a soft spot for buckwheat crepes: my dad used to make them for me all the time when I was a kid, and now that I'm all grown up, they've become my favorite lazy week-end breakfast item. But while I tend to eat them mostly for breakfast, the crepes natural nutty, buttery, slightly salty, almost kinda toasty flavor makes them a good contender for sweet or savory toppings, thus making them a very suitable option for any meal of the day!  

When eaten for breakfast, I find that sweet toppings tend to be a bit more enjoyable. Some of my favorite include fresh or dried fruits, chopped nuts, non-dairy yogurt, maple syrup, blackstrap molasses, peanut butter and fruit preserve. Dinner or lunch totally call for savory stuffing or topping options. Some of my favorites include sauteed mushrooms, non-dairy sour cream, spinach and caramelized onions.

But really, once you've got the base recipe for the crepes down path, you can prepare them practically any which way you like. And honestly, buckwheat crepes could not be easier to make! 

I don't know why people tend to over-complicate this recipe by adding all kinds of eggs and milk and oil or butter to the batter. Ever since I can remember, I've always made mine this exact same way, using the exact same super simple ingredients (well, technically, that would be ingredient without an "s" because only the flour actually counts towards an official list of ingredients): buckwheat flour, water, salt and, optionally, a little bit of baking soda. The baking soda acts as a leavening agent and makes the crepes a little bit airier, but it's in no way indispensable to the success of the recipe. 

That simple list of ingredients also makes the crepes naturally vegan, dairy-free, egg-free and gluten-free. And VERY easy to make. And tasty.

Oh so tasty...

continue reading

The post The Easiest Buckwheat Crepes appeared first on The Healthy Foodie.



* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.